Now Anthony Pellicano is a stickler for protocol.
The disgraced private investigator, who after serving as his own lawyer was convicted last month on 76 of 77 counts of wiretapping, computer fraud, racketeering and other sins he commited for his powerful clients, has filed a motion requesting a new trial, alleging that jury misconduct tainted the proceedings the first time around.
First, a female juror approached an attorney working for one of Pellicano's codefendants to voice "concern" about the verdicts. They then learned that at least four jurors had discussed the case without the rest of the panel present and one juror's husband had dished to her about a possible witness after reading a blog tracking the trial, said Pellicano attorney Steven Gruel, who's based in San Francisco and is doing selective posttrial work for the ex-detective.
"Many of [the blog's] accounts were derogatory and incriminating to all defendants," his motion added.
"The jury is supposed to make its decision in a vacuum," Gruel told reporters Monday. "A new trial is the only way to remedy the uncertainties created by the misconduct."
Sentencing is currently scheduled to take place Sept. 24. Federal prosecutors have not yet commented on Pellicano's latest move.